Saturday, April 19, 2008

This is a lovely photograph of me with some of the neighborhood criancas. They fight to hold Lindsay's and my hands when we walk to the market. Super cute.

And speaking of photographs, I finally put up some more pictures. I switched websites. The new one is: http://community.webshots.com/user/carriecarnevale?vhost=community
If I don't get to put captions with the pictures this time at the internet, it'll happen next time.

As for current events, I just got back from spending a week at a place called Rio Savane. It took us an hour an a half down a dirt road to get to the boat that took us to what was pretty much a deserted island (technically, it's a peninsula, but it might as well have been an island).
It was a week of sleeping 7 people in a 4 person tent under coconut palms... seems serene, except that the sound of a falling coconut in the middle of the night can take weeks off of your life.
It was a week spent cooking over a self-made fire with only 1 pot for 9 people, eating out of a frisbee with only spoons or fingers, surviving on oatmeal, popcorn, and rice. I cooked a darn good meal of shrimp pasta... over a fire I started myself from scratch. We bought the shrimp from a fishermen's village about a kilometer down the beach from where we stayed, and I probably could have eaten them all. One night, we had a bonfire on the beach and had smores! Pictures to come... eventually.
Now, it's back to Catandica for my second trimester.
Ate a proxima vez!